The Inter-Ministerial Committee on Illegal Mining is set to vet all registered artisanal and small-scale miners across the country in a bid to regularise their future activities before it makes recommendations to President Nana Akufo-Addo to lift the ban on mining.
This comes barely after the Committee chaired by Prof. Kwabena Frimpong-Boateng, Minister of Environment, Science, Technology and Innovation held a press briefing to outdoor the Road Map towards the lifting of the ban on small-scale mining at the Ministry of Information’s Conference Room on Thursday 16th August, 2018.
The vetting will be supervised by the IMCIM under the leadership of Mr. Charles Bissue Presidential Staffer and Secretary to the IMCIM.
The Administrative Supervisor, Mr. Alexander Gyedu will assist the IMCIM to supervise the vetting exercise to ensure that miners provide the necessary documentation for vetting prior to the vetting exercise on time and ensure effective communication between the vetting and the mapping teams.
The Fieldwork Coordinator, Dr. Joseph Gordon will ensure that the miners have prepared the grounds for the mapping teams to verify the boundaries of mining concessions.
Three teams of seven have been formed to simultaneously vet all small-scale mining licences in the Country. The members of the vetting teams include:
1. Prof. Newton Amegbey, University of Mines and Technology
2. Prof. Sulemana Al-Hassan, University of Mines and Technology
3. Prof. Richard Amankwah, University of Mines and Technology
4. Dr. Naa Dedei Tagoe, University of Mines and Technology
5. Dr. Saviour Mantey, University of Mines and Technology.
6. Rev. Dr. Emmanuel Offei Akrofi, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology
7. Ing. Ransford Sekyi, Environmental Protection Agency
8. Mr. Michael Ali Sandow, Environmental Protection Agency
9. Ms. Justine Seyire-Dzadzra, Environmental Protection Agency
10. Mr. Kofi Tetteh, Minerals Commission
11. Mr. Carl Klenam Gbetie, Minerals Commission
12. Mr. Nelson Ahedor, Minerals Commission
13. Mrs. Dufie Wiredu Bremang, Water Resources Commission
14. Mr. Enoch Asare, Water Resources Commission
15. Dr. Lumor Mawuli, Water Resources Commission
16. Dr. Kwakye Ameyaw, Forestry Commission
17. Mr. William Baah, Forestry Commission
18. Mr. Charles Onumah, Forestry Commission
19. 3 Representatives of Traditional Leaders